Dear Alexander
My very dearest friend
Thank you for your letter
I didn’t receive it yet
But I know it’s somewhere out there
Ready to be read
And now it’s my turn
I’ll ask a seagull to post it back to you
Wherever you may be
The Himalayas or Bogota
Or back home in Amsterdam
The last time I saw you was on the Internet
Skype was slow and the screen was scattered
You were standing on the courtyard
Of an old n ruined palace
Somewhere in Venezuela
Trying to catch signal
For it was your birthday
And you’d miss me n your mother
The two women who remind you most of you
I didn’t have a camera
So you could not see where I would be
But I was on my ship at key
In this sweating Southern town
From where I write you now
May my words make you see

It’s mid August
Let’s call it a heat wave
a beach day a summer holiday
Glen Gould plays his Goldberg Variations
for the 20th time today
A fan blows the sunburned heat
round my classic cabin
Swirled wood decorates
The royal bed I’m lying in
The engine’s running
Ice penetrating my swollen foot
my head is heavy from the wine last night
‘N from the window I see them palm trees
Slowly moving away from me
Means we’re leaving
Captain must be on the bridge
Can’t do anything about it

It’s just about a week ago
That I fell from the sky
Straight into the water
During a photography performance
With Chinese artist Li Wei
Dressed up like a Buddah
And I myself a lady
He sitting on the bow
Me behind the steering gear
Of a fast and heavy speedboat
Tender to Sanssouci Star
Vehicle of dreams
and surreal manifestation
Of a buddah and a lady
Sailing through the sky

When we hit the water
sparkling like a bubble bath
I was locked inside a cupboard
And for a second I was caught
‘n drowning
gently drowning
But cool n well prepared
As if the action was rehearsed
I dove out over starboard
Eyes wide open
Sun without a thought
Back to where I came from
Straight from the heart

While climbing up the rescue boat
I found myself bleeding from the nose
‘N through a haze of red ‘n salted water
I saw a floating Buddah
with a grown on his face
His dress all wrapped around him
Dancing like a butterfly
The artist still alive
Fallen angles do survive

Looked back up
And saw a bunch of people
Just standing there
Were they in shock or paralysed?
Or would they just not care?
Simply standing there
My so called yacht crew
Waiting for an order
Waiting for command
One of the artists crew
 jumped in the water
Swam towards our holy man
‘n safed him finally
I shouted something
The captain gave an order
‘n we were helped
to get back on the boat

Buddah broke his ribs
Can’t move nomore
‘N I won’t walk nomore
until my foot is healed
‘n all his bones restored

We got time to think now
And I am well surprised
That after all my dreams of drowning
‘n my Sunday underwater play
I found myself in this reality
with Buddah on my shoulder
and them spirits all around
I might give it an extra thought
What this is all about
‘cause in way I knew
something big about to happen
something about to speak out loud

I underline these three last words my friend
I underline these three last words
I underline these three last words my friend
And I’ll try to listen
May it be a message
For us to understand
That there is nothing but these three words
Which makes it to the end
The fall gave me the courage
At least to face the fact
That I’ve been flying
With an angel
And I have to accept
That I’m a lady princess
And there is no way back
My name is princess Fabel
‘n I prepare for my next step
to sail out to the ocean
and make my dream come true
to keep on building my own palace
to always try to fly
take them risks of drowning
then soul will never die

Popular Posts